View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Not taking into acoustic the sound or feel of the Felix, I'll try to address the features and specs.

The Helix has an xlr microphone input that will supply phantom power if you want it. Great for a dual source system if one source is a mic.

Features of the Felix that are also on the Helix:

Input gain is fully controllable.
The notch filter function can be accomplished with a 10 band or parametric eq on the Helix. You can include as many eq blocks as the dsp will allow.
Fixed low and high controls can be duplicated with a simple or 10 band eq. There are other eqs if you need to set the center point and q. That will duplicate the mid controls on the Felix.
There are many ways to boost your signal on the Helix. I tend to use a simple eq with a higher level, but there are many choices.
You can control the mix blend on the Helix.
The Helix has high pass and low pass filters in the eq section.
Helix can toggle between two channels.
Helix has at least one preamp (tube studio pre) good for acoustic but I wouldn't rule out trying some of the bass preamps too.
Helix has a headphone out.
Helix allows you to set your outputs at mic or line level.

I don't see anything on the Felix that the Helix can't duplicate. And on Helix you can have multiple instances of the same block. So you can have two eq high and low cut blocks and switch between them for example. Two different choruses.

Additional things the Helix has that are helpful:
Built in tuner
L.A. Studio compressor (and other compressors)
Numerous effects
Many presets so you can dial in each instrument and store the right tweaks for it.
IR capability to duplicate what an Aura system does.
Lots more.

None of this means the Helix is better. At $999, that Felix better SOUND amazing!
David,

Clearly you know the Helix and you make some great points. I'm probably going for the Helix LT... just due to funds. Not sure I need the Floor, but it does lacks the Mic input, aux input, 2 send/returns and the scribble strips. Do you have any thoughts on the difference between the two?

Thanks!
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp