View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyongargon View Post
I really like everything about this one except that the setup is a hair high from the factory. The straight-edge test tipped me off that I should ask better minds for some advice. If it can be brought down to where I'd like without trouble and nothing about my measurements screams that there's something drastically wrong, then I'm just wondering if anything about the guitar screams "foolish" if I were to hold onto it.
You will note my earlier response, still stand by it, if it plays great leave it alone do not look for issues. No guitar is perfect.

Guitars from the factory are IMO a tad high to start with, but..... they have to be shipped around the world, stored in the most unforgiving enviroments and then be displayed and ready for sale straight out of the box. So manufacturers have a tendency to set a smidgen high.

For disclosure, I am a Warranty repair agent for Martins Distributors in my locality, occasionally we get one or two guitars come in with a high action necessitating a neck reset, this is a rarity but it does happen with most manufacturers.

Straight edge under tension shooting just shy of the top of the bridge is fine.

Have a competent person near you tweak the action to suit you. It is the best money you can spend, its crazy when people buy 2000-10000 dollar guitars and wont go that extra 60-100 dollars to have it professionally setup for them.

Even if you can set the guitar up yourself, get someone that does it for a living to do the first one, then you know what your guitar is truly capable off and it sets a base line for you to adjust to from then on.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE