View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 08:07 AM

I've tried to learn to play guitar in fits and starts since I was a kid. I always stopped before I got very far. I started again a year ago at age 59 and am making great progress. What has changed?

In prior attempts I was given or bought a crap guitar that wasn't set up properly, making it very difficult to play. I choose (or my parents choose) teachers that were not suitable - they didn't teach music I wanted to play, they taught by a pre-conceived model (starting with scales and horrible songs) rather than figuring out my interests, or they had the personality of a brillo pad and I couldn't relate to them. I really didn't know where I wanted to go with the guitar and, as a result, got nowhere. I didn't practice consistently with goals set. I was bored. I let other priorities or non-priorities take priority. I tried to teach myself from books or watching on line lessons, and didn't have a place to get feedback. I didn't play for others.

This time I made a commitment to myself to learn the instrument and some music theory - to make it a priority.

I bought myself a nice guitar and have, during the past year, bought and sold a couple of others until I got a guitar that I was really comfortable with and loved - which you can only really tell by playing each one for a while. Body shape, neck shape, nut width, type of strings, and tone woods all matter. We only have a limited time on this earth and playing unsuitable instruments that you don't enjoy makes no sense to me. I had a professional luthier set up each guitar.

I chose a guitar teacher (a live human being) who loves the music I love, has an open and caring approach to teaching, is an enthusiastic supporter, and isn't afraid to give constructive critiques. She is also a terrific musician herself, pushes me, and has a great sense of humor (which is necessary to put up with my antics). She realizes that this is supposed to be fun and she makes it so. To me, it's key to start with a real live teacher (you can supplement with books and videos) and I look forward to my weekly lessons.

I now live in a community that loves and lives music and is filled with musicians. I know that this isn't something that is available to everyone, but it's made a big difference. I'm constantly surrounded by live music and, in particular, live music that I love.

I learn songs and styles that I listen to, love, and that speak to me. I don't listen to Segovia and Django, so there isn't much point to force feed that music to me to learn. I acknowledge their brilliance - but their music just isn't for me.

I play at a local monthly beginners bluegrass jam. There is lots of support, no judgement, and it's a lot of fun to play lots of different songs with a diverse group of people playing different instruments. It has also improved my rhythm playing by leaps and bounds.

I set the goal of playing an open mic (which I did last week and which I'll do again next month). Trust me, this was a terrifying concept for me - I never sing or play in public, even for friends. But getting out of my comfort zone pushed me to practice, focus, and learn new material. It was a terrific experience and I can't tell you how much love and support I got from friends and strangers alike. Alcohol did not hurt.

At this point I'm hooked and playing and singing has become an important part of my life that I intend to continue for as long as I can. I hope the same for you.

Cheers, Chris
2016 Collings D1 Sitka/Hog/Addy Bracing (“Bubba”)