View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
. . .Ideally, I would only listen to instrumental music which is what interests me the most, probably because I can't/don't/won't sing and don't feel any connection to those who do. When I hear a tune, I never hear or care about the lyrics - only the melody and harmony lines and the possibility of turning it into an instrumental.
. . .

I guess I sorta started noticing it this past week while listening to a lot of guitar demo vids on YT and discovered that I'd start a video trying to get a rough idea of how a certain instrument sounded and then the player would start flailing away and attempting to sing some lame cover or even lamer original tune and I'd just have to turn it off.

Anybody else feel this way or am I just the ultimate 'guitar geek' who won't tolerate anything else?
These are really two different things to me. I love songs, singing, songwriting. Hearing someone give a great performance of a well-crafted song is a one of my favorite things in the world.

But I'm with you when it comes to guitar demo videos. If the purpose of the video is to demonstrate the guitar's sound, singing defeats the purpose, even if it's done well. And if it's not done well, it can be really annoying.