View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have had trouble with "Every Breath You Take," however. The notion of stalking is just too real... I am attracted to the guitar parts of that song, but every time I am tempted to mess with it, my wife reacts extremely negatively. So I leave that one alone...

- Glenn
When I heard Laurence Juber perform a few years ago Every Breath You Take was, in my mind, the standout piece of the evening. His arrangement is so nice, and he plays it so well.

But the words are creepy (and yes, a lot more creepy really than a song about witches and such). The Wikipedia page for the song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Every_Breath_You_Take) talks about Sting's thoughts regarding the song:

"The lyrics are the words of a character of dubious nature, who is watching "every breath you take; every move you make".
I woke up in the middle of the night with that line in my head, sat down at the piano and had written it in half an hour. The tune itself is generic, an aggregate of hundreds of others, but the words are interesting. It sounds like a comforting love song. I didn't realize at the time how sinister it is. I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control.
—Sting
Sting later said he was disconcerted by how many people think the song is more positive than it is. He insists it's about the obsession with a lost lover, the jealousy and surveillance that follows. "One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!' I thought, 'Well, good luck.'" When asked why he appears angry in the music video Sting told BBC Radio 2, "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle, little love song."