View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
...I recently told one of the best local Guitar Techs that if he could put together a strat with the Marvin tone I'd buy it. He just changed the subject...
You need to change techs - I remember reading a written response to a similar question in the pre-Internet days (don't recall where) and it's easier than you think; starting with a maple-neck Strat of some kind (they used a then brand-new, late-CBS '57 RI), using today's parts you'll need:
  • '59 Strat True Vintage pickups
  • 3-way switch
  • An extra 500K volume pot
  • Pyramid 11-50 flatwound strings
The neck/bridge pickups, the original volume pot, and the second tone pot need to be wired to the 3-way switch Tele-style i.e., neck/both/bridge, where the volume and second tone now serve as master controls; a volume pot replaces the (original) first tone control, allowing the middle pickup to be dialed in as necessary with the 3-way in any position (I don't recall if it went directly to output or was routed through the master tone - BTW, a handy mod to any Strat IMO). Pyramid flats were pretty much the name of the game in Europe at that time, and will give you that slightly "dead" sound heard on not only the Shadows' recordings, but many of the post-Beatles British Invasion records as well - the rest is in your fingers...