View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 03:21 AM

Default My thoughts

Unless your hands sweat a lot, there is no reason to buy coated strings. A good set of uncoated strings will last a long time, provided you keep them clean. Also, any coating on a string will dampen the sound somewhat.

Probably the best strings for your guitar are Newtone Master Class. They cost more than Martin strings (also excellent) but I like the gauges:
12, 16, 24, 34, 44, 54

Plain Martin phosphor bronze (lights 12-54) are very fine also. You might also try Darco (made by Martin and are identical to the Martin brand, also the Eric Clapton brand). The SPs may last a little longer as the core wires are bronze coated. A slightly warmer sound than plain Martin strings.

I don't care for D'Addario phosphor bronze lights at all - they are way too harsh and the low E string is a 53. 54 is better suited to your guitar.

One string set that I do like very much is GHS Laurence Juber signature bronze. They are also bronze-coaded (core wires) and are cryogenically treated, so they may last a bit longer than conventional strings. These strings are especially good for bending, for blues, that sort of thing.