View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 09:26 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The reason I recommend the R8 is because I've recorded 3 full length CDs for bands using a Zoom R24 so I'm intimately familiar with the R family operation. The R8 is the 2 input version of the R24 basically.
Most of the comparable recorders have built-in omni eletret mics that sound pretty good, but you'll kick your recordings up to a whole other level using a pair of small diaphragm condenser mics. For that you need XLR inputs and phantom power. Some of the lower priced units don't offer that option.
Any of the recorders you look at that claim it's easy to edit on them are stretching the truth almost to the breaking point. Some are capable, but not easily. Record at 24 bits (without clipping), bring the clips to a PC and edit your adio there. It's quite simple to do and is MUCH MUCH easier then trying to do any editing with the portable recorder.
The Zoom records using 24 bit audio. If you do edit on the PC that ends up being a huge advantage in getting clean, clear, great sounding audio. Many other low priced recorders are limited to 16 bit audio, and it matters... a lot.
Any recorder you choose will be available from many sources, but do be aware that Sweetwater automatically extends the factory warranty be an additional year. (I have no financial interest, but a long time satisfied customer...)
Once you mix down to a CD quality wav file then it's simple to convert it to mp3 on must any computer using any number of free programs. Recording directly as mp3 is NOT a good idea, as it severely limits your ability to produce high quality finished tracks.

You can find some additional info and details on simple home recording at the Internet Archive of my old website. I dropped my hosting a while back, but there's still useful info there:

http://web.archive.org/web/201603282...ecording1.html
Thanks a ton, Rudy; I looked at the top units on Sweetwater's site last night (I'm also a very happy SW customer) and right now the R8 is indeed at the top of my list. I have a few questions in to my Sweetwater guy, but your info is also really helpful, so assuming I hear back from him and it's all good, I'll probably go that way. Great website link, too, for more info... Thanks again (everyone!)...

PS - ANYONE WANNA BUY A BOSS BR-8... CHEAP???

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

Last edited by slewis; 03-15-2017 at 01:35 PM.