View Single Post
Old 03-12-2024, 07:38 PM

Default Any Bass Players? Strings for Fretless?

I'm not a bass player per se, but I very much enjoy playing mine when recording. I have a MIM fretless Jazz Bass. I bought it used around '06. I replaced the stock pu's with some Bartolini's that came highly recommended by some forum guru. I really can't remember what forum that was, but I like them. I also strung it with Thomastik Infeld Jazz flats. Also recommended by said forum guru. I have to say, that guru knew what she (that's right) was talking about because it has been a great bass for my purposes. It gets played for recordings maybe 6 times a year. That's it.

So, now it's 2024, and I have the same set of TI's on it. I think it still sounds fine, but I'm wondering if a new set of TI's would be a big improvement. I've been researching. La Bella tape wounds keep coming up. They are almost exactly half the price of the TI's, that are now around $100 a set. Regardless, I'm leaning towards the TI Jazz flats, but I really know next to nothing about bass strings.

I do know that I like a focused, fundamental tone. I feel like I'm losing that a bit, hence the post. Any and all advice welcome.