View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
We all know countless pithy words of wisdom from others. It's time we came up with our own here on the AGF. Post yours!...
cotten
Somehow, I just knew that my asking for "original pithy words" was going to be a bit much, but, hey, some of these were new to me, so they may well be original. Others I've seen thousands of times. I'd prefer originals personally, but this is the AGF, I know, and I enjoy it. Carry on!

I spent last week helping lead a music camp for over a hundred young folks, age 12-15 - so full of life and joy and promise, yet also self doubt and fear. This thought occurred as I watched the light come on in the minds of a dozen of these kids who were having trouble remembering the basic rules for 4-part part writing with a given chord progression, usually a task tackled by first year music majors in college, the beginnings of composition. They would look totally bumfuzzled, then one by one, smiles. They got it!

If you want to affect the future,
if you want to leave a lasting legacy,
encourage a child.
Don't be fake or flippant, they'll spot it in a heartbeat.
Genuine, thoughtful encouragement lasts
for at least a lifetime.

(This was confirmed when, after the camp's final concert, three different parents of my campers came up to me to say how much my encouragement had meant to them back when they were campers themselves.)

cotten