View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 01:43 AM

Default Go for the uke

Lap guitar would be cool, but you'll need to learn less new skills with an ukulele. I'd wait til you can try different sizes in person though. I've played all the dirrent sizes but baritone is my main instrument. Some things to consider...are you looking for something that sounds pretty guitary or a more conventional ukey sound? Baritone is very guitar-like. It is conveniently usually tuned DGBE like guitar and would require very little new learning. The chords are mostly identical, just eliminating that which falls on the absent 5&6 string. You only need to modify if the root fell on those strings or if you didn't like the voicing. It's true that you are generally not doing that typical alt.bass like on guitar, but that doesn't mean that you have to be a strummer. Check out James Hill or Jack Shimirabuko to see nice Chord/melody style stuff. The most popular size with prof. soloists would be tenor (one size smaller than Bari and usually tuned gCEA or GCEA (but DGBE string sets are readily available if you want to stick with that tuning). As someone pointed out, though, the basic chord shapes are still the same, you are just in a different key, so you just need to make the mental adjustment to different names (doesn't take that long to get the hang of it). For example a C guitar chord is an F on a c-tuned ukulele. A d-shape on guitar, is an F...and so on. Tenor scale is most popular for finger-style as its not a great stretch between frets but it's not so cramped up either. And unlike the baritone it's still ukey sounding (though not so much so if you put DGBE strings on it).IZ played tenor with a lowG, linear tuning, GCEA. Tenors do, however, have the most string tension, it you are concerned about your fretting hand. Some traditionalists say that only sopranos (the smallest size) really captures the true uke sound. Others find concerts to be a comfortable middle size. That's why I say go and try them and see what you like. After having many, many ukes. I still love my Bari in DGBE linear tuning for when I want to play something guitar-like but a little more stripped down and the soprano in reentrant tuning gCEA when I want super-portability and a sweeter or fun-sounding and little more percussive, conventional uke sound. Hope this info helps.