View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourceforce View Post
I just picked up a Red Eye duo the other day for my K&K trinity system. So, obviously I now know the Red Eye cannot supply phantom power to the mic, so I'm back to square one.

I've got the belt pack preamp that came with the Trinity system, and its ok, but I'd like a little more, I think... Both in terms of eq and sound.

I'm wondering about the quantum blender? I sold my DTAR Solstice, which I'm really kicking myself for now.. If the quantum blender is not the ticket, I'm thinking I need to go back to the solstice..

Either way, any thoughts would be really appreciated on the quantum or solstice in regards to being paired with the k&k mic/mini combo.

Thanks guys!
Mark
Hi Mark…

They are equal in audio quality. The Quantum is an awkward form factor (for just using it if you are going to actively adjust it) and lacks many features found on the DTAR, or the Raven PMB-I or II preamps. It costs more, and offers less.

As for features, the DTAR will outperform in nearly every area. It has both XLR and ¼" inputs with individual gain controls, and ¼" and multiple XLR outputs, (both mono and stereo). It has switchable phantom for each channel, switchable phase, an effects loop with a volume control, a tuner output and a mute control. You can even run the mute by footswitch.

All the DTAR controls are marked on the front of the unit, and on the Quantum they are on the top edge of the unit, which means if it's at eye level, you cannot see what controls you are running. In addition, the Quantum channels are laid out side-by-side and not on top of each other.

And the Quantum is more expensive than the DTAR yet produces no better sound. I had a Headway EDB-1, and the lack of individual channel tone adjustment was what caused me to sell it. I think one is in the same boat with the EDB-2.

I find compelling reasons to own a DTAR (I do) and none to own a Quantum. In playing with a Quantum, it was not built as solidly, nor as intuitive to operate, nor did it have all the options I find myself needing from time to time. And it sounded no better than either my Raven PMB-I or PMB-II nor did it sound any better than my DTAR Solstice.

I'd recommend going back to a DTAR Solstice. You won't find a better dual source blender/preamp these days (early 2015) this side of $1200 (which is the going price for Pendulum SPS-1 rack mount preamps these days).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…