View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benybrady View Post
What is the difference between a 12 fret to the body vs a 14 fret to the body guitar?
To add to what AZliberty has already posted, 12 fret guitar designs are often more "vintage-looking" in appearance and style, with slotted pegheads and a more old-fashioned sort of body shape. There are serious fans of these guitars that strongly believe (and have evidence to support their beliefs) that 12 fret guitar designs tend to have richer tone than comparable 14 fret designs.

I happen to love the Martin 12 fret 00 design, but am less enthused about the 12 fret 000 design. I've owned a couple of each, and the 12 fret 000 isn't as suited to my style of playing as the 14 fret 000/OM body, which I regard as a more versatile design.

What you lose with the 12 fret designs is the easier access to the upper frets that 14 fret designs and (especially!) cutaway model guitars offer. But many players who love 12 fret designs don't play that high up, anyway.

Anyway, a lot of it comes down to individual taste and playing style. My "pick and choose" approach - where I like 12 fret 00 guitars better than 14 fret 00's, but prefer 14 fret 000 models - is not uncommon among players who've had years of experience playing these various instruments. And my preferences are just that - other players will have their own preferences based on other criteria. Because it all comes down to how you play and which of these designs work best for that.

So have fun playing zillions of these guitars until you get a sense of your own personal preferences!

Wade Hampton Miller