View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I've owned a National tri-cone some time back. Good quality and a great guitar. The neck was fat and I didn't get into it at that time. I do own a very old Johnson. I've been thinking of getting a G9220 as I like the sound of the wood and spider cone. So I've been playing with my Johnson :-). I used to like it but now I find it shrill and so heavy. Being heavy is one thing but it's like I have to fight it to keep it on my lap. I hate that. It's one of those guitars that's to heavy and to cheap to sell on EBay.
Well, if your Johnson is patterned on a National, that small body, with all the weight, is going to want to move on you unless you use almost a classical positioning. I always have a stool, put my foot up on the case, or if I'm playing out a strap to hold my Nationals in position. I hate supporting even a half ounce of the guitar's weight in my fretting hand. A slight exaggeration, but you get what I mean.

I've seen great players just sit on a chair with their knees level and play them. But I can't.