View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM

After I mentioned that my impression was that lighter fluid was a weaker solution of naptha than the stuff labeled as such, Larry wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
[size=2]Hi Wade...

Naptha is Naptha. Doesn't come in strengths or different concentrations like ammonia or hydrochloric acid. Naptha is less oily and evaporates quicker than Mineral Spirits, thus better for our guitar work.
Oh, okay, good to know. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Oh, and I learned from the luthier who wrote most of Stewart McDonald's guitar maintaining books, that spit is a great solvent too, and the one to start with when attempting to remove mystery stains from a guitar before turning to Naptha. Just don't do it in front of your wife (experience speaking here). Especially don't let her catch you removing coffee stains from the coffee table that way...
Yes, I'm married, as well, and can just imagine my own wife's reaction if I were to do that.....

A few months ago I read a long article about the lengthy, difficult restoraion of some old paintings, and the restorer mentioned that the "mild enzyme solution" he used to clean the surface of the paint was, in fact, saliva. So if art professionals like that guy use spit to clean delicate surfaces, I guess it's okay for guitar players to do that, too!

So long as our wives aren't in the room at the time....

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: Norm - if Ronsonol is illegal in Sonoma County, smuggle in a bottle from elsewhere.