View Single Post
Old 07-26-2023, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I am curious to see how quickly a kit can come together! Good luck!
Neil - I’ve read about techniques and builds seemingly forever, but until you do the dive, you never know what you’re in for.

In that above picture, that was so nicely clamped, I ended up with a thin separation between the side and the neck block. I solved it by yet another purchase. - a Wagner heat gun. I heated the joint, clamped it, and voila! Onto the next step.

Each step, even what looks straightforward, has its pitfalls. And this is just one way of building a guitar. (You know there a YouTube video of a Mexican luthier making an entire guitar with essentially a machete, right?).

So for me, each step will end up taking as long as it takes. The box is going together fairly well, but I am discovering some subtleties that I’ve missed during all these years of studying builds.

My bandsaw and my belt/disk sander have proved to be invaluable. Also, my credit card - invaluable!

You might as well buy the kit and dive in. After all, you’ll be dead a long time.

Rick

PS - I remember having a chat with Dale Fairbanks about his early builds. He admitted that there were probably a dozen guitars in his parent’s basement that will never see the light of day. Each one taught him something new.