View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
Great playing! You've got a little Skip James thing going there. I play bare fingered as well and love the tone.

I first came across resonator guitar when I met Chris Whitley back in the eighties. His playing really blew me away. He used a homemade, cut down slide and a ring slide and picks on all his fingers. It took me awhile to realize I wasn't and would never be Chris Whitley and I found my own bare finger style. I still try picks once in awhile but I guess they're just not for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Skip James and Chris Whitley are two of my biggest influences, so I'm glad you caught that! Here's my version of one of my favorites Chris Whitley songs "Dirt Floor", which I sang at my dad's funeral. And if you knew my dad, you would know the song fit perfectly ....

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6697257

I talked to Chris Whitley twice for extended periods after two of his shows in Salt Lake City. He was was very kind and thoughtful. He signed one of his set-lists for me, and also gave me his tunings on some songs I couldn't figure out. It was his inspiration that got me tuning my guitars into my own tunings. The tuning for the two songs you listened to are Fortune Teller CGCEGC (capo on 3), and Lovesick Heart CGCGGC.

As for Skip James I love the songs where he sang in his fragile high range, which I find myself doing and liking.
Glad to have bumped into some other Whitley devotees. What a great player, songwriter and lyricist he was. I never got to see him as I'm in the UK and he wasn't over here that much. I love all the old Bluesmen, particularly Son House, Charley Patton and Bukka White, amongst others, but Chris Whitley was the one who re-ignited my fascination with Resonators and the reason I finally acquired one.