View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Default No "Clones" Sound "Just Like the Original" - NONE!

Aloha Friends,

Howzit Kevwind! Thanks for sharing the mic. I know you're just reporting on what's just come out in affordable recording mic's. But....a Chilean U-87 clone? Really? How close can that really be in terms of sound & behavior to an original U87. Doesn't the under $1k price (as in cheap parts) just scream, "B-S?" Without even hearing it?

Note: BTW, which U87 does this clone claim to sound like? The U87 originals from the 60's & 70's - like its 1979 claim? The 87i's from the 80's & 90's? Or the current U87ai's which sound nothing like the vintage 87's. Which capsule does it use/copy? See the problem w/ clones? Modern manufacturer's even use the original's product numbers for their clones, like the Neumann U87 versus this Chilean clone's SA87. It's kinda like Takamine using an exact copy of the Martin headstock logo when they first started up. Building Value, Creating Need - dishonestly.

As someone who once had a major high-end mic addiction for many decades (cured now - sold everything off), I've auditioned thousands of mic's. This includes even owning some of the real standard bearers among the acknowledged "best" vintage mic's of all time. I can honestly say that not one of the clones or copies EVER sounded or behaved "just like the original mic" they tried to copy. Ever!

As you move up the trough, you go through phases of trying out different clones of the classics: KM84's, 87's, 67's, 89's, 47's, 48's, 251's, C10's, R44's etc. etc. Once you listen repeatedly to several of the great classic original mic's, the subtleties are finally revealed. In most cases, the clones are not even close, but are quite different.

Many of the clone manufacturers do make fantastic sounding microphone's - but they have their own sound. And they use different materials than the vintage mic's did. For example, everyone's trying to nail the U47, at least in their advertising literature. Why? To sell very expensive, high quality mic clones. More profit.

Wagner, Telefunken, Soundeluxe, Flea, Bees Nees, Bock, Manley, Peluso, Korby, Horch, Lawson, Pearlman, Wunder - even Neumann all try to make high-end & expensive clone mic's that sound "just like the original Neumann U47." They make Great Sounding Mic's - some are close - but they don't sound exactly like an original U47. The original U47 cannot be cloned. They still can't quite get that U47 "compression" down.

Heck, most modern singers & engineers want a more open sounding mic - like Kevwind's Brauner Phantom V, Doug's Brauner VM1 or my Microtech-Gefell UM-900. Note: Only the Wagner clones come close to a U47 to my ears. And that's because they actually use parts from old cockroached U47's. But as Kev mentioned, The Wunder Audio CM-7 is also a breathtaking LDC. So is the Lawson L-47. And all the mic's of the above custom mic makers.

BTW, Does anyone honestly think that any Chilean mic manufacturer could make anything remotely close to those classic mic's made by those perfectionists in Germany or today's USA modern custom shops ?!?

So friends, don't be fooled by that old, tired, advertising chestnut, "sounds just like....." because it doesn't. Don't get your hopes up because of advertising claims. Put your ears on it first & read between the lines for a given mic's "value." Handle it with your hands. Make tracks/mixes with it in your studio. Note how much easier it is to control & mix using a classic rather than much cheaper clone. The truth be known.

I say to clone manufacturers, let your mic's merits stand on their own. To heck w/ copies & clones - and selling myths & dreams dishonestly while we're at it. It's amazing how many players continue to fall for that tired promotional strategy.

Do your own auditions, friends - yes of this new Chilean U87 clone mic too. Draw your own conclusions & appreciate each mic on it's own merits or limitations.

If you want to see how ridiculous mic clone madness can get, go over to gearlutz "high end" forum & check out the crazy claims of people who think a particular mic "sounds just like..." Ha! Gets pretty emotional.

In terms of just recording a few vocal & acoustic guitar tracks as most players do here, just audition condenser mic's you can afford. When the urge hits ya, try out & buy better mic's. Do your own shoot-out's at home to compare gear. Let your voice make the choice of which LDC it likes. Mic's certainly are a BIG candy store!

alohachris

PS: I don't think you'll be swapping out your nice Brauner Phantom V LDC for this Chilean U87 clone anytime soon, right Kev? -alohachris-

PPS: Joliet Jake: "What happened to the Blues Mobile?" Elwood Blues: "I sold it for a microphone." Joliet Jake: "Oh, I can see that."

Last edited by alohachris; 12-27-2016 at 01:13 PM.