View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I assume what you mean is that you don't expect much from the amplification components of an AE guitar and that the unplugged tone is what is most important to you.

If that is correct, then I would expect that a non-AE guitar, you know, acoustic, is what you should be looking for to avoid any diminishing of the tone from the onboard electronics (Especially a UST) and use a removeable soundhole pickup on the rare occasions you do need to amplify. Or, a very non-invasive SBT like the K&K or McIntyre Leaf if you don't want to fool around with putting in and taking out a soundhole pup.

Steve
On the first paragraph, yes, that is correct.

I have two purely acoustic guitars (my two Taylors) and three AEs, the Martin Takamine and now the Eastman. (Good Lord, HOW did I get so many guitars?!) The sound of the AEs is fine for me....but then I rarely play them connected to an amp. I do use an acoustic guitar amp, which I understand is much better than just using the typical electric guitar amp, right?

I am less concerned about the pickup causing a degradation of the acoustic guitar's "sound" that I am with looks and convenience. For instance, the Tak has what I consider an "ugly" pickup control panel, but I dearly love how that guitar plays and how it sounds unplugged. The Martin's little knobs are much less "ugly", but still I prefer the clean lines of the Eastman. I'm far to lazy to move a pickup from guitar to guitar regardless of how great it sounds; I just don't use a pickup often enough. I do have a microphone that I COULD use to amp my acoustics, but then there are issues with that playing with 2-3 other guys.

What is "SBT" and "UST". Yes, the K&K (Pure Western ?) is one of the units that sounded like it would appeal to me. Simple and unobtrusive. Also the Fishman like what I have now in the Eastman. I am talking here about adding those to the GS Mini and/or Taylor 320.
Eastman E10-OM AE - SOLD
Eastman AC 122 CE - SOLD
Eastman AC 420 CESB - SOLD
Taylor 320 (LR Baggs Lyric) - SOLD
Pono ATDC-Ce (tenor ukulele) gCEA
Oscar Schmidt OU53 (baritone ukulele) - SOLD
Gold Tone model "BUT" (tenor banjo ukulele) gCEA