View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 06:00 AM

A guitar builder friend of mine pointed out that electric guitars with string through body as opposed to strings anchored on bridge options on eg Telecaster or Strat etc tend to have a higher tension in the strings due to the increased string length even if the actual vibrating length is unchanged - something to do with the physical properties of the metals and so on.

Not to mention the fact that even if a shorter scale length differs by only ca 2% this difference will be applied to all strings. You only have to loosen one string on a wammy-equipped Strat to realise just how much pull there is on each string as all the others go suddenly sharp!

I have to agree with others who point out that there are other factors at play as well, so if the shorted scale length makes for easier playing (and easier string bending for a given string size) then go for it. I don't experience less volume on shorter scale guitars, on the other hand I do agree that there is a slightly softer quality to the sound - not better, not worse, just different
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden