View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
If it's important for you to have that skill, then by all means work on it. Any practice that heightens your ability to refine your ears, like interval training, is a plus.
Personally, I never felt the urge or need on guitar to be able to reproduce an internalized melody "on the spot", like you mention.
What I have at the start is a rough sketch, and then I work at filling in the background and fine print. For me, that takes time and reflection. More like hunt and peck, as Stanron mentioned.
Sounds like you have a different mind set on that, which is just as valid. The goal in the end is the same, to make good music worth listening to.
This sounds very similar to my approach with my instrumentals. Taking time with one of my own compositions is often required and I have no problem hunting and pecking! I find being able to hum/sing the melody in my head is helpful in getting it into my brain, but if I find something I think I might lose over night I'll record a little on my phone so I can sleep that night!
I'll use a little theory to help with knowing what I've gotten myself into.....and to find a bridge (instrumentals), but through practice and repetition, there's also a span of time where I'll focus on how a piece "wants" to be played. Phrasing, dynamics, my own mood and what I'm hoping to convey. Recording helps identify spots that might need a re-work. Recently I had a piece I worked on for 6 months......when I recorded it, I felt that the first section wasn't "musical" enough.......so more time went into the redo of that section......it's a process!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium