View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I keep coming back to the idea of simply using a good small amp (of which there are many), and then buying a decent rechargeable battery pack w/AC convertor to power it on those occasions where I might have to play away from electricity.

As example, the Goal Zero (brand) "Yeti 150" seems like a decent compromise of size, weight, cost, and power. I just don't see the amp manufacturers putting $200 worth of batteries (and an added 12 pounds of weight) inside of a budget-amp and expecting to make a profit.

In other words, I think maybe we should be looking at battery-power supplies for existing amps, as opposed to amps which already have battery-power inside of them? Just my 2 cents.
If you're not competing with a lot of other ambient sounds or looking to fill an amphitheater, the Sunburst Gear and Elite Acoustics amps weigh in at a range from 16 to 24 pounds total, are entirely self-contained, run from 15 to 20 hours on a charge and sound amazing. For larger crowds or more demanding situations where more decibels are needed I agree with Paultergeist's solution. For playing to smaller groups, either in a park or on a streetcorner or any public place where decibel level is limited these new amps are, imho, the state of the art solution. Don't get me wrong, even the little A1 plays pretty loud - louder than I can listen to in my large living room for example - just not anything like concert level. Of course you could easily daisy-chain two mid-size M3's and really make some serious noise, but then you're out almost $700.00 with a bit less convenience. Still a helluva bargain. I know I must sound like a shill for the company but I'm not. I'm just so thrilled with the two I bought. In fact, I'm keeping the little A1 and selling my M3BR8 because even it is plenty loud enough for my needs playing house concerts, coffee houses and groups of 20-30 at a time in the park.