View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic7 View Post
...I don't think it will ever become standard but it will certainly continue for lots of makers.
Hi Danny...
I'm inclined to agree - but it is more popular than in past decades. I don't think of it as a fad - more like a phase.

Since there are so many ways to build guitars with amazing tone, if a luthier is building and experimenting with offset holes and is obtaining wonderful tone and response, and improving the build till he/she is building world-class instruments, why would they ever change their design?

Not all players want a Martin, Taylor, or Gibson or something built to mimic their tone (modern or vintage tone).

So it makes sense that builders are experimenting with ways to extract the best sound from an instrument and if that involves side ports or offset sound holes, and produces an instrument that caters to players looking for a more contemporary or modern sound, they will still be around in a decade or two (they have actually been around that long).

Nobody is mentioning arch tops with offset f-holes side ports which have been in existence for decades. And what about this stunning guitar played by Thom Bresh with beautiful wing-like sound holes in the top adjacent to the strings (built by Dave Plummer of DesMoines, IA)?

Not likely a run-o-the-mill variety of guitar, but it sounds awesome...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…