View Single Post
Old 11-01-2023, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I currently have 2 guitars in both nut sizes you mentioned and have had many guitars over the years with all the nut sizes and have come to realize that nut size isn't the deciding issue when it comes to playability with my hands which are also on the small side. It' the neck ergonomic, which is a combination of all the factors that exist and work together in the neck configuration. Neck thickness and shape are very important in that formula as is fret board radius. One of my all time favorite guitars was the Guild D-35 I sold here on the forum. Nut size was 1 11/16 but it had a deep neck thickness that was shallowish around the shoulders...very easy for me to play. Altogether the guitar just fit my hand even though I usually have difficulty with that narrow nut size on most other guitars. I currently have a luthier-made guitar that has a nut even wider than 1 13/16 but it is super comfortable for me to play because the neck depth is even shallower than a Taylor or a Martin slim carve neck and the shoulders are shallow. Yet I have a Martin 12 fret with a 1 11/16 nut that is difficult for me to play because the neck taper is thicker at the shoulders. You really have to play the guitar to know how its going to work (and sound) for you.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany