View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 AM

I also play an HD-28. I bought it new a few months back, but before that, played a D-35. Actually, after playing the D-35 a few years, I took a too-long break from playing, and then I bought the HD-28 and so now I'm almost back to square one. Anyhow, right after I got the new Martin, I broke the high E string, and so I just replaced them all with Elixers. They were OK, but I knew from previous experience that I like the Martin SP's, so after a couple months experimentation with the Elixers, I bought a new set of Martin SP 4200's, and on my HD-28, I prefer them to the Elixers. I had intended to try the SP 4150's, but the music store didn't have any, & I didn't want to wait for them to arrive by mail order, so I bought the 4200's. To me, they're well-suited for the HD-28, but I guess it depends on what sound you're looking for. I like the "traditional" Martin sound. I grew up in the Carolinas and several of my relatives played guitars, fiddles, mandolins etc. in bluegrass groups, so that's the sound I love. Can't say I'm any good at playing it, but I love the sound. To me, the sound of a Martin is distinct. I may be bias, though. Martin is the last name of my mom's family. I'd like to say I'm related to CF Martin, but as far as I know, I'm not. How great would that be??? lol!!!

Last edited by Martin_HD28; 07-05-2009 at 09:12 AM.