View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Simon, I seriously doubt you'll be able to get a worthwhile sound from those strings on a standard acoustic guitar - they just won't drive it adequately.

Physically, the gypsy jazz guitars as designed initially by Mario Macaferri and improved upon by the Selmer company are an interesting hybrid between archtops and flattop guitars, with characteristics of both. Mechanically they don't work precisely the same as either.

The longer scale length on these instruments is a factor, as well, since they're typically quite a bit longer than the usual acoustic scale.

But to answer your question - yes, the materials and design of those strings DOES play a role in the sound that can be pulled out of a gypsy jazz guitar. But they work symbiotically with that guitar design, and the tonal advantages and characteristics they bring won't transfer to a standard flattop, I'm afraid.

You can go the other direction, and use standard strings on a Selmer copy, and that's typically a bit more successful than what you're discussing. But you just won't have the tension you need to fully drive the top if you try to use gypsy jazz strings on a flattop.

Sorry....

whm
I specialize in building hybrid dome top guitars, although with a glued fixed bridge, and to a point Wade, i'll agree with you. But it's more in the design, scale length, and bridge angle of these guitars, than just the strings that gives that "gypsy" sound. I usually ship these with D'Addario phosphor bronze strings, as they work well on these guitars.

But strings are relatively cheap, so i would suggest experimenting with them, to help guide you in the sound you're looking for.

stringer

Last edited by guitar_stringer; 12-08-2008 at 01:28 PM.