View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 12:55 PM

I used to use a mute sometimes (actually, I have two different kinds of mutes), but mostly for changing the sound of the instrument and the sustain, and not usually for the purpose of being quieter (though a mute does that too). Muted banjo can be kind of a cool sound, with lots of sustain.

If I wanted to play quietly I would stuff a t-shirt in the resonator, or I would sometimes play without picks (which, though it required a different right hand technique, really improved my right hand control).

Or I'd play with picks like normal (I mostly played Scruggs style and melodic style - obviously clawhammer/frailing players will play without picks all the time), but I'd just try to play really quietly - this REALLY improves your right hand control. (It takes a certain degree of proficiency with the instrument to be able to do this of course, and a beginner won't have this for a few years).

Unless you have neighbors, say in an apartment building, that you need to be careful not to bother, I'd say just practice without a mute or anything most of the time. Go in a different room with the door closed if necessary.

Last edited by wcap; 11-20-2014 at 01:04 PM.