View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
Labral tears are no fun. Sorry to hear about that. I do have to go with your Ortho on this one though. A labral tear is not a good indicator for replacement. In shoulders we can repair the labrum doing a Bankhart repair, but that just doesn't translate well to the hip joint. I would agree with him about the cortisone injection. It may give you the relief you need and it's not a big deal to do. I'd say give it a shot (no pun intended), it very well may do the trick. Effectiveness can vary from none at all to being completely asymptomatic for 6+ months. My advice would be to do it and see if it works. Also, if after three subsequent injections there is still no relief, you should look more seriously into a replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiabixby View Post
JLed79
Thank you so much, just exactly the guidance I was looking for. I'll let you know how the cortisone shot turns out.

Pete
I "received" my first cortisone shot to my hip today. It's a lot more than a "shot". Given at hospital, several technicians wearing germ masks, a medical doctor trained in radiology and also in administering such a procedure. All this sets up a bit of drama I didn't expect. As usual there is no real pain. Just the psychological expectation of something not so good going to happen.

Three hours post cortisone injection, I have no after affects at all just the return of the original discomfort and limitations. Which is to be expected as I am advised it will take a while for the cortisone to take affect.

You might find it interesting if not humorous, that my adaptation to the injury is to place my left leg (right hander) out almost straight when I sit in my playing chair which relieves the strain that imposes the pain from my labral tear of the cartilage to my left hip. Who knows what stress that imposes on the rest of my skeleton. Andres never had a labral tear.