View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
How would you describe the difference between the S-82 and the infamous W-803?
They are more similar than different, very much so. All of the Daedalus models share the attributes for which the brand is known - flat response, accuracy, detail and an unrivaled sonic and behavioral aesthetics.

There are differences between the various models, though. As between the W803 and S82, the crossovers are different. The very high frequencies (north of 16k) are a bit more present with the W803. They are easier to mount, about the same to carry. The S82 provides a bit more bass response, all other things being equal. Either will impress.

I have a pair of W803 and a pair of S82 (actually 1 S82 and 1 C82) here now. Both pairs are older models (i.e., neither pair has the newer crossovers or the newer 5" drivers).

The S82 is about 2/3 the price of a W803. Taking cost into account, the S82 is a better value.

My only suggestion is to find a way to hear and use Daedalus speakers yourself. I first heard them in the mid '90's and I was smitten. It took a few years until I finally got a pair - the S81 (since sold). Then it was a pair of SR823 (since sold), followed by another pair of S81 (since sold), then a deal fell in my lap (from a closing dealer) where I got a pair of W803 (still have) and a pair of the monster SC-1203 (since sold). Last year I picked up a S82, a C82 (4 rack spaces) and a C81 (3 rack spaces), all of which I still have. I've been fooling with a variety of acoustic guitar preamps, studio eqs and power amps, in an attempt to end up with a small acoustic amp, to use when the W803 mini-PA rig is overkill.