Thread: For Sale: Martin D-28 Marquis Sold!
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Martin D-28 Marquis Sold!

Hi folks,

I am considering a D-28 Authentic '37, but I need to sell my D-28 Marquis first.

(Note: if you are a '37A owner and you don't like the neck, let's do a trade, plus cash on my part.)

This Marquis is based on the Martin Golden Era design with Indian Rosewood instead of Madagascar.

The top is Adirondack and the bracing is also Adirondack and forward shifted and heavily scalloped all the way up to the "X".

The top is a lovely even creamy color with nice gain lines. The EIR is nicely grained and appears to be very high quality.

This is the "CANNON" everyone refers to. It is the loudest bassist guitar I've ever played, except for the Authentic (my "lifetime" guitar) I am looking to purchase.

The setup was done expertly at Martin with their Plek process. The nut slots are perfect and the intonation is spot on. This is one the benefits of the Marquis - pre war design with modern truss rod, modified V profile neck, and perfectly CNC crowned frets. It takes a little luck to get it setup this well by hand. It's a super player.

If you can't afford the Authentic, this is, literally, the next best thing. Martin discontinued it this year. I suspect they did it to force you to buy the more expensive Authentic.

All specs are standard, except:
K&K Pre-phase endpin active pickup system. (Sounds excellent - straight in)
Strap button on heel. (Luthier installed)
Schaller GrandTune 18:1 tuners. (Nice upgrade)

The Marquis is in 9/10 condition with normal wear for 6 months. Small ding on top - too small to show up in pictures. String winder mark on headstock. Light swirl on the back and top. Found two small dings in the underside of the sound hole edge. Can't be seen from outside.

Sold pending payment. The price is firm. Includes OHSC. Also included in the case are the original Martin branded relic'd tuners.

PM me if you're looking for a Marquis before I come to my senses.

Also, I have a novel idea. Should you choose to make me an offer, I'll be happy to do a iPad FaceTime session to play the guitar for you, so you can hear before your buy.

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-27-2017 at 02:47 PM.