View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
A good mastering engineer will help you become a better mix engineer. By using an experienced mastering engineer you will get feedback on the mix (and they'll probably ask you to make mix changes on issues they notice that are better tackled at the mix level). Then they will take that mix and smooth out all the rough edges. Lastly, yes, they'll make it loud to compete in today's streaming world.

This is your chance to get better ears on your mix. If you have the budget, I wouldn't skimp on it.
That’s exactly what I’m going to do. I’ve sent an mp3 to a local producer and I have a quote for a) mastering only (with feedback on my mix) or b) remixing + mastering — both either unattended by me or as a training session I can watch and learn from. Sounds like a great way to peep over the fence a bit.

I’m crossing fingers that I can resolve at home any mixing recommendations they give me. Then I’ll opt for the mastering witness/training session.

I still need to do the last bit of tracking; that’s scheduled for 4/18 — 4/21.

They specified one medium only. Which one should I request? If I say mp3, I’d still be able to pop that up onto SoundCloud, right?

One thing that’s a mild disappointment is that they use Pro Tools (no surprise), but I use Studio One. Will this limit me in anyway?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC