View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 08:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Tim, the purflings seem to shimmer against that amazing BRW... What are you using for pore-filling, bythe way?
Hi Louie, the purflings are .020" thick maple veneer (MacBeath Hardwood).

I use (4:1) TAP 314 premium marine grade resin mixed with their 109 hardener. Its the same adhesive I use to laminate the sides and bond fret boards to the neck. Its the hardest epoxy that I have ever measured. It literally feels as hard as glass after its set for 24 hours. I mix System Three silica thickener if I need additional viscosity. The down side with the epoxy is it takes a minimum of 80*F to cure properly with the 109 hardener. TAP's fast or slow set hardeners will cure at lower temps but both impart significant amber coloring which I don't like.

I use TAP's 109 hardener because its their clearest and doesn't impart any amber coloration to the wood. Its so transparent I can use it to fill porous wood rosettes without imparting any color to "white" tops.

I used to use TAP's "Super Hard" resin with excellent results but it is much more amber in color. The 314 resin is significantly clearer. Either product can be reversed with ample heat if one needs to remove a fret board but don't ask how I know this