View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 11:56 AM

I would offer a suggestion, but honestly, the appearance of a djembe is my cue to flee screaming into the night. It's not quite as bad as it used to be, but their popularity almost killed the campground jam scene at our local festival.

Funnily enough, my best friend was an early and enthusiastic African percussion player, playing in a couple of local African bands and becoming one of the go-to guys for djembe repairs. He thought I was just being difficult when it came to drums' disruption at jams, but then he started playing Irish pipes, and he's totally changed his mind! I found the transformation kind of amusing.

About the best I can do by way of suggestion is to maybe try playing bass with the drums. You can add guitar too, either yourself if you find another bass player or by recruiting someone else, but African percussion is really overpowering stuff for a single guitar to balance. Holding down the bottom end with a bass will establish the "musical" side of the equation and create a solid foundation for guitar to build on. (Disclaimer - I played bass before I played guitar, so I might be a little biased.)