View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
As someone who has indulged in home recording for over 40 years with modest and humble equipment, I'm jealous. That's a very cool set up.

Technically, I'm not really jealous. I'd love to have a set up like that but I am truly happy that you have it.
Thank you, I do feel quite fortunate to at long last, be able to afford the gear I have. As you can see in the pictures my studio is in the rather large attic/ man cave of our house. I only started into home recording in 2000 because prior to that time I did not have the discretionary funds to do so. Having been in residential construction/carpentry for most of my adult life has allowed me the skill to have at least made the desk the rack and Gobo stands DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
That's a cool setup. I'm curious about that second piece in your rack. The knobs remind me of a Shadow Hills unit. I'm guessing it's a stereo compressor? Also, the stickies on the keyboard make the room colorful. ;-)
You are correct that is a tube 2 channel compressor, and it is a Vari-mu type design called a .Tubecore 3U Mastering Edition, by IGS Audio...
it sits on my 2 Bus but I am going to start trying it on tracking as well.

Ha yes the stickies ...because I am basically a guitarist but only a poor "hunt and peck" keyboardist by default for midi , they are my "cheat sheets" for marking different chords on the keyboard...

For anyone interested. Here is a bit closer shot of the rack and the front end of my recording chain.
As you can see, I chose to focus on two nice analog tube channels (although the Avid Omni interface has an additional 2 channels of solid state mic pre's if need be )

Top to bottom The chain is:

A-Designs MP2A 2 channel tube mic pre's and DI....
Tubecore 2 channel tube compressor ...
Avid Omni with 2 channels of solid state mic pre's
Monster 3500 power conditioner.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-22-2016 at 08:47 AM.