View Single Post
Old 11-29-2016, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
I was not surprised they chose to relaunch Avian. Last July, I went to Guitarlair in Kuala Lumpur housing reputable boutique guitars such as Kronbauer, Webber, Huss & Dalton, Collings, Bedell, Lowden, Avalon, Northwood just to name a few, I walked out with a Collings and an Avian Skylark. The Avians were that good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Haha! I know you mean that in a positive, business way, but "Aggressive" is about the last word I'd use to describe Ben or Michael.
Only ever seen them on video, They seem like incredibly nice polite young gentlemen.

No affiliation apart from sharing the same town, I dare not imagine how much rent and rates they must pay , that's a pretty up-market location I can tell 'ee !
Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I meant that in a positive way. They have a pretty broad presence and Michael takes the trouble to really shine a spotlight on everything that comes in the door. They keep their Facebook content fresh. Michael makes a lot of appearances at guitar shows, and he keeps a close relationship with his builders. That's what I mean by "aggressive." I didn't mean like a used car salesman, so I hope it didnt' come across that way. I'm actually very impressed by how they market guitars and think they do a great job.

I've always imagined that they are in a very expensive neighborhood. Now I know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Can't really comment on the business plan (I'm an Art Historian!) but I've been to TNAG and also have benefitted from Michael's generous friendship and advice. Top tier guy and the best guitar shop I've ever visited. Certainly wish them all the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I've just looked at the TNAG vid just put up on the 'tube.

Very well done but there is no description at all regarding what it is the "investor" gets back. I think that's a serious omission when 99.9% of their audience will not be "business people" but guitarists, likely unfamiliar with thsi sort of thing.

I've used similar schemes twice: Once to fund an Allan Holdsworth album that I was sent a copy of subsequently in return for my upfront investment. The second time a friemd was putting together a copy of a photography book and when done, I got a copy.

I don't have any feel for what the investor gets here? I did go to their Crowdfunding page in order to glean more but it required personal details etc. for access to the full scheme. Yeah. Right. Goodbye. I'll give them details when I'm ready to invest, not just to find out what the scheme is all about.

Perhaps Michael will chip in here?
He needs to.

Cheers,
Steve
Hello all!

I'm here to answer any questions you may have. For full details of Crowd Cube and the way they work I can only recommend that you register with them. They are the UK's foremost funding platform and have handled nearly £200,000,000 (that's around $250,000,000) of funding revenue since they were first set up.

Now, as for what we are doing, why and how I can certainly provide a few more details here.

Since our inception in 2011 we have approached growth cautiously, having seen first hand how over-investment in stock and/or premises can hole a business below the waterline. We have had regular offers of funding from individuals since that time but we have been extremely wary of potentially diluting our brand by selling a controlling share of our business.

However... The past couple of years have brought with them further growth, and, of particular interest, some amazing opportunities which would have meant diverting working capital. Something that we just weren't prepared to do.

The Crowd Cube campaign is intended to raise the capital needed to tackle these opportunities as well as allowing us some room for extra growth. Crowd Cube works like any other crowdfunding platform in that it allows people who appreciate what we do to support us. We are a 3-man team working hard and smart, and we have a clear vision of what we can achieve in the years to come.

We started this business with the aim of representing the work of a select roster of the finest guitar builders in the world. It began with me closing build slots from the corner of my living room in early 2011 and evolved into a bricks and mortar showroom in London by 2013. As we get ready to close our 6th year of business, I can say (with the exception of fatherhood) that this is the most worthwhile and exciting business I have ever been a part of. This is my 10th year in dealing guitars. I have spent a full quarter of my life doing this and I love it.

Now, the AGF rightly has rules in place about fundraising for any purpose and as such I would invite those of you with further questions and observations (thank you all for your feedback so far) to contact me either by PM or email at [email protected]

Thank you!

MW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.