View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
Now that I am a bit more interested in business [rather than engineering], I did some research about Taylor Guitars (Taylor-Listug, Inc.), Fender, Gibson, and Martin on my free time and found some interesting facts and figures to share.

Taylor Guitars
- Taylor's revenue is approx $21.4 million
- Approx 320 employees
- Taylor has a strategic relationship with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation... This was really interesting, no wonder Fender hasn't competed with Taylor.
- I found out that Fender actually distributes Taylor guitars (they were listed as their distributer)

Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
- Fender Musical Instruments Corporation acquired Tacoma guitars in 2004
- Fender acquired Groove Tubes in 2008

Gibson Guitars Corp
- Gibson Guitars Corp acquired Baldwin Piano and Organ from General Electric Capital Corp in 2001 (they Baldwin had filed for Chapter 11 - which is merely a change in control, it does not mean the company is only losing money). Baldwins revenues were approx $81 million and had losses of $14.2 million (OUCH!) before the acquisition.
- Gibson Guitars acquired Griffiths (Garrison) Guitars in 2007 and converted their production to make the Songmaker series. (Canada)
- Gibson Guitars has approximately 2,800 employees.

I also think its interesting that GE Capital financed Baldwin (as they finance Taylor). Even though I don't think that Taylor will have to raise capital or is interested in going public, I think it will be interesting what the next five years, where the music instruments business is expected to grow at 5% will have for us.

I would love to hear more interesting facts from you guys.
My understanding is that Taylor has decided to handle their own distribution overseas. I don't immediately have an article to back that, just seem to remember it from over the past few months.

Fender also owns, Kaman Music, which is the largest accessory distribution company in the US as far as I can tell. Kaman also owns Takamine, Ovation, and a handful of others. Fender is also now headed up by the CEO of Guitar Center who made it what it is today.

Currently the largest growth area for musical instruments is in Ukes, of all things.

Authorized Dealer of:
Breedlove - Jackson - Fender - Martin - Schecter Guitar Research - Crossrock Cases