View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangrunloh View Post
The B-string is special. You can't treat it like all the others especially if you use a pick. You can't beat on it or dig too deep with a pick without overstimulating it into making undesired very high-pitch harmonics. You must treat it with love and a more gentle handling and it will sing. The high E is that way too but not so bad unless you tune it down. Sometimes it's not the guitar but the player. It may help to use slightly higher gauge on the B if you are that type of player. If you think it's the guitar try moving the string to a different position. It may still do it.

The best pick zone to avoid the "ping" can be very narrow. For some picks it's very difficult for me to avoid it, others not so much.

My guitars are my teachers and they tell me that each string wants to be picked a little differently, you can't just whack at them all with the same force and release. You got to make love to them and the B string is the queen *****. She doesn't mind bare fingers but hates picks, so be nice.

P.S. That is not to say there aren't many other things that make a buzz but I believe the solids will "ping" or "rattle" if over- picked and it's worse with light strings and full length necks. Capo up a few frets and it goes away for me. It's also more obvious with a bright responsive guitar. A little ping actually perks up the dull thuddy ones.
+1

Every guitar/string combo has its own "personality." If you get good music out of it, you learn to adjust to that personality. If not, you get a divorce.

I wonder how much GAS has been caused by the B string?