View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 09:01 PM

Default Reducing belly bulge

Hey everybody, I have a question about belly bulge on acoustic guitars. I have a Johnson Carolina Series JD-27 dreadnought guitar which isn't too many years old. It has a solid Englemann Spruce top. Anyways, back to my question, Is there any way I can reduce slight belly bulge behind the bridge. The bridge is fine and not lifting whatsoever, so I don't want to mess with that. I understand acoustic guitars, maybe dreadnoughts in particular, experience this over time from the constant pull of medium gauge strings, but how much belly bulge is normal. I understand that you can't expect to get a completely flat top on an acoustic guitar while using medium gauge strings on it over the years. But how much belly bulge is normal and is there a way to reduce it without installing a JLD Bridge System. I don't really want to go that route. Does belly bulge have anything to do with humidity? Is there any way I could add or take out humidity to correct this problem? Or is that not an option? Could someone please shed some light on this for me?