View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 AM

This is a really hard question to answer accurately. The main reason being that pretty much everything that goes into an acoustic adds to its tone. Its hard to accurately determine how much though because every guitar is unique, even if it is built the same way from the same species of woods and materials. The key is understanding that guitars are organic creatures. Every piece of wood is different. Every grain pattern and density different. When they are all cut and glued up, they are going to settle in differently. And therefore sound different.

Then add the factor of human "error". Granted this is not the word I would prefer to use, but its the most accurate. No guitar is crafted 100% perfectly. Its **** near impossible to do that; this coming from a carpenter. However, great luthiers strive for that 100% and those guitars come out amazing. Thats where you can see the love and devotion put into the instrument and almost anyone that picks that guitar up will not know any error made. However, this is what makes guitars unique as well. This is why each instrument sounds slightly different from one another.

If I were to put, in order, what I believe to contribute the most to the tone of an instrument it would be this:

1. Construction - The way the guitar is built. The measurements used, the joints made, the thickness of the wood, the placement of the bridge, the shape of the bracing, etc. This above all else affects the way a guitar will sound.

2. Top - The top of the guitar would be next. What its made of, how its braced and supported, what thickness it is, etc. It is the focal point of where the strings are anchored to the instrument. The strings vibrate the top and depending on how much the top vibrates and the way it vibrates, this will affect the tone even further.

3. Playing style - Depending on how you play, the guitar is going to sound different. Ever notice when a mediocre player grabs a guitar and it sounds cool? Ever notice when an amazing player grabs the same guitar and it sounds even better? How you pick, strum, hit notes, etc........ all this will determine how the tone of the instrument is brought to life.

4. Everything else on the instrument - Back and side wood, neck wood, nut and saddle, fingerboard, bridge, binding, etc. This all can add very slight subtle differences to the tone.

Here is the main problem. It becomes very difficult to accurately test all of this. Good luthiers can shape a wood to sound the way he or she wants. But determining the final tonality of the instrument is impossible. Doesn't mean that a good builder can't have a fairly close and well educated guess based on their own experience. What it boils down to is that everyone has an opinion and this is simply mine. Take it for what it is worth. I would say that yes. Almost anything that goes into the build of an instrument affects the tone to some degree, even if it is very slight. The question is would you be able to perceive that difference? Most people say no depending on what you change. If I have an amazing guitar with a plastic saddle and nut, I personally think it sounds dead. But when I fabricate a bone nut and saddle for it, the tone sounds much better to my ear. But again, that is my opinion. Nothing more. Best to just listen to the guitar and decide for yourself.