View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Over the years we've all seen the word "canon" used to describe a particular sound or tonal quality. I've heard some guitars played that others have described as "canons" but that isn't what I would describe canon to mean. To me, canon does not mean loud...it's a tonal quality that you can feel as well as hear. My friend just bought a new Martin D18v...He described it as a "canon." I have the HD28v and if this D18v is a canon, then mine is a nuclear weapon! Now don't get me wrong, that D18v is sweet and a better lead instrument in many ways than my HD28v. I'd like to have the sustain and highs found on his guitar.

I've not played many guitars that I would describe as canons. I've played a bunch of Taylor 810s (and have owned them as well) ltds and others and I've never heard that "canon like" quality in Taylors. Loud yes, bell like quality, yes, sustain, yes, canon....no.

I've played another friends Collings dred and it is absolutley a "canon."

Don't get me wrong, many people don't prefer that tone for their style and wouldn't want a guitar that has that quality. I would never describe my Goodall as a canon nor would I want it to be.

Just curious as to other opinions...
Some synonyms are:
act, adjuration, ban, behest, bidding, call, canon, caveat, charge, citation, commandment, decree, devoir, dictate, dictation, dictum, direction, duty, edict, enactment, fiat, imperative, imposition, injunction, instruction, law, mandate, notification, obligation, order, ordinance, precept, prescript, proclamation, prohibition, proscription, regulation, request, requirement, requisition, responsibility, rule, subpoena, summons,

So it summ it all up by saying simply a canon is My D 18GE Sunburnt awesome
get er done , inspired geeeeeeeetar. In other words it ''rule' zzzzzzzzz.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"