View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

The most valuable lesson that I was given, many years ago, was to "sing" the lines I played, to keep my soloing more melodic and original, as opposed to just running scales or playing "everything I know' every time I play!

still remember that, at first, I had to "fake it", meaning I would actually sing what I played, rather than PLAYING what I sang (or heard inside myself)... after all these years (40-ish), I still have to relax and focus my thoughts to do this... and, when I tap into that "inner voice" of mine, the lines are fresh and melodic and never sound "canned" or rehearsed. A bit like an athlete "getting into the zone", it's not always easy to do, but it's ALWAYS worth the effort!

Learning different scales and patterns of same helps to develop the memory of those scales and sounds, as is developing a strong sense of harmony and theory - you know, the "Why it works" part of the equation... but these things are simply fore-runners, or practice for "The Big Game", i.e. playing the notes that come from inside of me, my head and heart...

Good for you, going back to this after a few years off... have fun, and enjoy the ride!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman