View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 06:48 PM

My first was a CA Legacy (dread) that I purchased from a private seller on eBay in 2004 (I had tried a Rainsong OM back in '99, when they were still made in Hawaii, but wasn't impressed.) The Legacy was pretty good, but the appeal of CF to me was the idea of not having to worry about humidity changes, living in a partly wood-heated house in northern New England. The Legacy didn't make the grade in that respect. It did exactly the opposite of what wood guitars tend to do: the action got higher in the winter and sank in the summer. Investigation revealed that this was an early prototype, and had a CF neck but a wood (ebony) fingerboard. Of course, in the dry weather (winter up here), the wood shrank and the CF didn't, so the neck curved up. And then curved down again in the damper summer weather. It was '07 before I got to a place where they had other CF guitars to try (Elderly, a detour on a road trip west). I wanted to try a CA in the OM size, since I did like the sound, and was getting too stiff with aging to be totally comfortable with dreads. But they didn't have one of those in the full depth body. They did have a Rainsong OM, and I gave it a try. For an hour. Then I got out the card. And the rest is history...