View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 07:10 AM

Default beginner banjo scale length question (playability)

I am starting to explore the banjo a bit, and as an early intermediate guitarist I've found that I find short scale guitars significantly more playable; 24.75 is my preference and I can feel a clear difference between that and my 25 1/2" Taylor GA, not to mention something standard scale. Since my hands are small and my fingers not especially stretched out (and since I'm starting into this middle age), how should this impact my choice of banjo scale length? Or for that matter, if scale length seems to influence playability for me on guitars to this extent, should I even try banjo? I know playability is determined by additional factors and I don't have a good feel for how the narrowness of a banjo neck might positively impact my ability to work with a longer scale, for example.

I realize some of this will be resolved by exploring the instrument, but I have to buy something initially. My default plan at this stage is to get a Deering Goodtime open back, but I thought I would seek some input first.