View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
A Gibson Chet Atkins SST has been my main guitar for the last 7 years or so. I am always checking ebay to get another one and they can be found for $900 - $1100 (a little more for better condition)....so I don't consider them expensive compared to a T5. BUT - I did send mine to Fishman for an upgrade to the matrix pickup (the stock Gibson is not great).

I don't consider the Chet a hybrid like the AE185 or Duotone....but it has the perfect sound for what I am doing....I play in a melodic original rock band with female vocalist. I want the "pretty" acoustic sound, but I also want lots of punch and a bit of "brassiness".

I also owned a Guild Peregrine (beautiful guitar) for the same purpose, but it was more acoustic sounding and didn't cut through the band enough. I also didn't like the volume / tone slider controls. These are very hard to find and I sold mine for a lot more than I paid for it so it is probably a bit high in proce - but no more than the USA made Duo - Tone, I would think.

I just got a Turner Renaissance RS6; and it is a stunning guitar to look at, very light, and has a wonderful sound; very acoustic. I will enjoy this guitar for years - but it will never replace the Chet as a "band" guitar because it doesn't have the punch of the Chet.

I played T5s several times; I am a Taylor fan so I was hoping it would replace my Gibson, but it does not have the same feel. Like the Rs6 it is light, but to me it feels "lightweight" if you know what I mean.

I have toyed with ordering an AE185, but the way I would want it would push towards $1800 and I have never had one in my hands, so that worries me a bit.

I played a Duo Tone once, liked it - but I don't really need the electric sound for band work....and if I want to play electric I can pick up my Tele. My band mates would like to hear electric for my lead playing occassionally, so I won't rule one out at the right price.

Thanks for the info. I've been able to really dial in my A6 Ultra and for the price I thinks it's a heck of nice guitar. It can even do a decent hollow body sound. However, I'm just not a fan of the Godin necks. My son used to have a LGX and I like how it sounded too, but never could get used to the neck on it either. I like the A6 so much that I took a chance, but no cigar.

I've got the chance to pick-up a practically new Parker PWH-2 for a pretty good price, but I'm thinking maybe I should just hold out until I sale my Godin and have the cash to try the SST.

You have any experience with the PWH-2? Anyone have experience with this guitar? I asked about it on another thread and got one response and the guy told me it wasn't nearly as good as my A6, so that gave me reason for pause. They look to be a really good deal, but it they sound like crap, then who cares?