View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
So, I've somehow convinced a local band to give me a shot, sight-unseen, but they've checked out my Soundcloud stuff. I don't know much about them, but they apparently have gigs and are in need of a lead guitarist.

I play out in low-stress jam situations about once a month, but have never actually auditioned for a band before. I'm picking up the five songs they sent me today–I think I'll have them down by Thursday–and I'm planning on taking one Les Paul, one 35W combo amp, and my pedal board.

I know right now that I'll have to fight the temptation to overplay since I mostly play by myself. Beyond that, what advice do you more experienced players have for me? I'm actually kind of nervous.
They’ll be evaluating you as a person as much as, or more than, you as a player. So yeah, relax, have fun, treat it as a learning opportunity. Play the parts, as you have learned them, with confidence. There are lots of “right” ways to play a tune, just pick one of them. At some point, in conversation, nothing wrong with saying something like “ if we get to that point, we may want to adjust how I play these “, but for an audition I say just go in and play with confidence.