View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 04:49 AM

Default Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE VS saddle

Hello everyone. I finally got the Masterbilt DR-500MCE VS. I've been waiting for it for ten months (ordered in May 2010). The guitar seems really nice overall. Its my third acoustic - i had a Fender CD-140S, and I still have a Seagull Entourage Rustic. Epi seems like the best one of the three. The sound is great and full, a lot of bass wich I didn't expect, nice mids and treble too. The strigns that were on are some kind of 12 gauge with no coating, and honestly I think they suck. I restringed my guitar with Elixirs 11, and man what a change. I couldn't beleive. It started singing right off. The playability and action of guitar are great (i had to adjust the truss rod just a bit to remove the bow).

The thing that I noticed is that the saddle is not compensated as shown on Epi ang gibson sites. Its just a regular (bone) saddle that I'm planning to replace with a new one. I have a feeling that it would improve a sound a little bit. So, I was wondering if you could recommend me a replacement saddle, because I've read that compensated saddle made of quality materials such as tusq or ivory can make quite a sound (resonation) improvment on acoustics. I will probably be ordering it from ebay. Here is the picture of my saddle.. Hope that you experienced guitar-people will help me. Sorry if my English is not so good. Thanks. Tom