View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 AM

It depends on what your budget is. The guitar is nice, and you don't want to ruin it's benefits with a crappy PA. My first PA for my solo shows consisted of two low-end Electro-Voice 15" speakers (Force i, they were pretty far down the Electro-Voice quality chain, but they sounded much better than the Yamahas sold for a similar price), a 500 watt-per-side powered Yamaha mixer with effects (the EMX5000-12, you can still find these brand new online... not sure how, but it sounded very clean, and the effects were a lot of fun to use), you'll need speaker stands (whatever you get, also get a speaker stand bag, with all the load-ins and load-outs a lot of things get banged up, and speaker stands are a very irritating added expense when they only last a few months), a mic stand (I use a DR Pro, it was the first mic stand I bought, all the screws and tension points have remained like new... stuff it in your speaker stand bag to protect it too), and don't forget a decent microphone (the Shure 58 is a long-time favorite of most and certainly does the job, but I used and liked my Audix OM-5 very much). I believe all of this cost me about $1200 - $1400. You'll need a gear bag for all your instrument and power cords, microphone(s), extra strings, 9 volts, and capo. And don't forget a little floor fan to help prevent the guitar-belly sweat spot.

Haha... that may be more than you were asking for, but that's my 2 cents.