View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Some people install temporarily with double sided tape to test play, then go back and do the final install with CA (cyanoacrylate or super glue). As I understand it, once you use CA the pickup elements are not removable without destroying them.
A good luthier can remove a K&K and re-use it. Two of my installs for friends were removed and replaced by Martin during neck resets with bridge work. I checked them out with a mirror and everything looked as I left it. However, without a hard smooth maple bridge plate, a similar operation on a CF guitar might be impossible.

I have tried the tape installation of a JJB in an inexpensive guitar that I thought might be worth being able to salvage the pickup some day (I bought the guitar for trips by air where it might get gate checked). The volume was at least 12 dB down and while it sounded OK, I don't think you would get any meaning full feedback on your placement choice given the weak signal. Also, the tape they have you use, 3M 467MP, is pretty tough stuff to deal with when you want to remove the pickup (and in my case re-install with cyanoacrylate glue).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 08-08-2017 at 02:39 PM.