View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Gtrfinger,

Is the problem only in your pinkie finger? The ulnar nerve supplies the pinkie side of the ring finger and the entire pinkie - which sounds exactly like what you describe. It can be irritated by stretching (I would not recommend any adjustment) or over use. NSAIDs and rest are appropriate. A month is a long time. But my rule of thumb (pardon the pun) is a week without pain. So take a week off past when you're pain. If you have pain after an hour of playing or less, take another week off. Steroid injections would be fine if you could localize the point of entrapment most commonly your elbow (ulnar canal i.e. funny bone) or wrist. EMG testing (nerve conduction studys) may help here too. If you gently rub either area - can you elicit the same pain? Finally, surgery does usually work, but is always a last resort.

I recently had the same issue with the radial nerve (thumb) after practicing holding barre chords and doing melody notes with my pinkie over and over for a week. I took a week off with NSAIDs and I just avoided holding prolonged barre chords. Yours, unfortunately, sounds more severe as it hurts after a few minutes of routine playing.

And yes, I am an MD, but not examining you personally and with no test results, please only consider this Guitar Forum advice and NOT medical advice. You see in the USA, we may be able to get you a quick referral and a battery of tests, but oh, do we have lawyers.....

Feel better,