View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 03:26 PM

I've used an instructor most of the time I've been playing. I came to this as an adult, so I've tried to take the perspective that a relatively minor cost is worth it if it speeds up my progress.

I'd say it has definitely helped with goal setting. I was doing Justin Guitar, but it was hard to know if things sounded right, or if my hands were positioned correctly, etc. The instructor helped me get through the early instrument troubles.

My guess is that I'd be largely OK on my own right now, but I look forward to the lessons every week and they provide a useful way to structure my practice, so I'm happy to set aside the time for the lesson each week. I sometimes think lessons have slowed me down, but I'm fairly certain the guy I'm taking lessons with has a solid plan. I've been learning to read music, which a lot of guitarists don't do and has been a pain, but will probably make me a better musician once I'm far enough along to warrant the name. He also breaks up the lessons into skills, so that each week I practice some rhythm, some flatpicking, and some fingerstyle, as well as basic drills such as alternate picking, scales, and arpeggios. The drills can be dull sometimes, but they clearly help me progress.

The alternate picking stuff caught me off guard. I'd been doing what seemed like pointless drills working on the basic "up down" of alternate picking, but then when we got into slightly faster lead stuff, I played that way automatically. It wasn't until later that I realized that some people have to go back and train themselves to do the alternate picking. So things like that make me say that you should get lessons if they aren't a big financial impact.

I've also tried to keep my GAS in check to save cash for the lessons. Buying guitars is way more fun than taking lessons, but I try to take the perspective that I'll probably sound better if I get solid operator instructions for any gear I own. :-)